There’s a very interesting –and useful- article by David Maister titled The Psychology of Waiting Lines.
Here’s a brief outline of Mr. Maiser’s piece:
- People Want to Get Started.
- Anxiety Makes Waits Seem Longer.
- Uncertain Waits Are Longer than Known, Finite Waits.
- Unexplained Waits Are Longer than Explained Waits.
- Unfair Waits Are Longer than Equitable Waits.
- The More Valuable the Service, the Longer the Customer Will Wait.
- Solo Waits Feel Longer than Group Waits.
Recommended reading if your customers have to wait for any reason during service encounters.